After nearly three decades of helping homeowners with repairs and maintenance, there are not many issues that come up that surprise me.
I am always asked, what should I do about this system or that repair? My response is regular home preventive maintenance pays for itself many times over by not allowing a little issue become a major repair problem. Whether you do it yourself or hire a professional service company like Premier Residential Services to assist maintaining equipment, clearing irrigation lines or replacing older/malfunctioning products, your home will be better for it and so will your “pocketbook.”
Regular Summer Maintenance For Your Home
What needs regular maintenance (interior/ exterior) and how often?
- Heating and air conditioning systems including air filters – every 3-6 months.
- Lighting, fixtures and light bulbs should be inspected and maintained by visual inspections.
- Smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm batteries should be replaced at least yearly.
- Plumbing systems and water heaters – water heaters should be drained and flushed 1-2 times/year. Faucets, toilets, and drains should have water run through them weekly to avoid a build-up of debris. P-traps and drains should have a lot of water run through them to avoid stagnant water and sewer gas back-up, especially in the hot summer months.
- Appliances need attention regularly. The coils on the rear of the refrigerator should be cleaned yearly, refrigerator water filters should be replaced yearly and dryer vent exhaust system should be cleaned yearly.
- Garage doors, door locks, and interior door hinges should be lubricated every 6-12 months.
- Pool systems – In addition to twice weekly service, your pool professional should clean the filters 1-2 times/year and the pool water should be changed every three years.
- Landscaping, underground drain lines, emitters and sprinkler heads – Periodic sprinkler checks should be scheduled every 4-6 months and drain lines should be hose checked and cleaned on a regular schedule.
- Hardscape (concrete, outdoor tile, and pavers) should be cleaned of effervescent as needed.
- Photocells that control outdoor lighting and bulbs should be checked visually monthly.
- Misting systems should have the pump motor oil replaced and nozzles cleaned yearly.
- Solar panels – should be on a regular cleaning cycle to remove dust, dirt and rain water residue to maintain peak efficiency.
- Roof drains and downspouts should be cleaned and flushed every 6- 12 months.
- Garage doors, entry doors, wood trim, and stucco sustain abuse from the summer sun and the desert’s high temperatures. These areas require regular paint and stain applications to maintain useful life.
- Weatherstripping needs to be inspected yearly.
Advice for Festival Season
The month of April means music festival season is here! Many Coachella Valley residents take advantage of the high travel demand by renting their homes to travelers. Among all the hype and “once in a lifetime” attitude of festival goers, perhaps home cleanliness and care is not at the top of their priority list. Nonetheless, homeowners should not be discouraged to host during the various music festivals, because we are here to help.
Homeowners trust us — and have done so for over 57 years — to care for and protect their vacation homes when the property is vacant, before guests arrive, and after they depart. We make certain that your home is clean, well maintained, and secure, so you don’t have to. It’s worry-free vacation property management. Visit our Vacation Rental page for more information.